Passport Validity & Renewals
- Duration: U.S. passports issued to children under 16 are valid for 5 years, while those for individuals 16 and older last for 10 years.
- Renewal Process: Unlike adult passports, child passports cannot be renewed via mail. You’ll need to apply in person using Form DS-11. Learn more here!
- Expedited Services: If pressed for time, expediting companies like Passport Rush would help you to obtain a child’s passport swiftly. This includes same-day processing for specific urgent cases with proof of imminent travel. Learn more here!
- Costs: Passport fees for children are typically less than those for adults. It’s crucial to stay updated on current rates and payment methods.
- Consent: Both parents/guardians must give consent for a child’s passport. If one parent can’t be present during the application, they need to provide signed consent and related documentation.
- International Child Abduction Prevention: The U.S. has the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP). This program notifies parents of U.S. citizen children under 18 if a U.S. passport application is submitted for them.
- Child Locator Devices & ID Bracelets: Consider using these tools for added security during your travels.
- Evidence of Relationship: Essential to prove your relationship to the child. Suitable documents include a birth certificate, adoption decree, or custody court order.
- Child’s Social Security Number: The passport application must have your child’s SSN. If they don’t have one, a declaration must be provided.
- Sole Custody Situations: Single parents or guardians with exclusive custody should present evidence like a court order during the passport application process.
- Plan Ahead: Ensure all travel documents, including passports, are ready and valid well in advance of your travel dates.
- Stay Organized: Keep a dedicated travel folder with copies of all essential documents.
- Engage the Kids: Make your children part of the travel planning. This can be both educational and heighten their excitement about the journey.
- Photo Requirements: Use a recent photo (preferably less than six months old) for the passport that meets U.S. standards. Avoid clothing like costumes or hats.
With thorough preparation, especially in terms of passport requirements, you can make your family’s journey smoother and more enjoyable. We at Passport Rush wish you and your family safe and enjoyable travels!